See User information

Posted on: 2016/10/8 14:28

Re: Virtual Reality (Oculus Rift)
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Quote:
wobblyone wrote:
I have taken the plunge and entered the world of VR gaming with Oculus Rift! OMG OMG OMG! Elite is another world (and Assetto Corsa) There is a drop in quality but there is just no going back. The immersion is astounding. I would recommend it to everyone who loves gaming. So far, I have just used sims like driving and flying. Not tried shooters yet.

Posted on: 2017/4/15 0:43

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Do you get a better sense of speed with the Oculus? How is the field of view, as in how much can you see to the sides without moving your head? Is it more than you get on a single monitor?

I'm waiting patiently for a year or two to see how good the next generation of VR headsets is. At some point I'll have to upgrade my computer and get a VR set, even if I'd only use it mainly for Assetto Corsa.

Here's a list of some great games: http://kotaku.com/the-best-pc-virtual-reality-games-1783284845

I Expect You To Die, The Climb and Superhot look like lots of fun.

Posted on: 2017/4/19 21:23

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
These pictures don't really do VR justice. The immersion is amazing. You are IN the car. The pictures are taken with me looking and leaning around. The field of view is a bit less than on screen, but a bit more than if you were wearing a helmet. The fact that you can look around increases awareness so much though.

The games best suited to VR are sims ie. when you are sitting in a fixed position like a car or cockpit seat. Driving is amazing as is Elite.

There is a drop in picture quality compared to the beauty of our monitors, but it is worth it.
Be aware you need a kick ass PC. I am having to upgrade my processor to i7 (as well as a few other bits), but it was well overdue anyway!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2017/5/1 13:28

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Thanks for sharing, wobbly

Posted on: 2017/5/1 20:37

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
It sounds exciting!

Wobbly, I think you have played IL-2: Sturmovik? It just had a patch to add VR support. Have you trid it yet? I don't play fying sims but I saw an article about it somewhere.

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/303/update-2009-vr/

Posted on: 2017/5/7 13:18

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Yes Al,I have IL2 Battle of Stalingrad. It is probably the best VR experience so far! It is just stunning. I will try to grab some screenies soon.

The only problem for me is the complexity of the controls (like all flight sims). I've tried to get all basic flying controls onto the joystick, which is great. But there are a lot of keyboard controls which you can't see. This makes the gameplay awkward. It is early days yet. So far, I have only sorted Elite for controls and display settings.

You would love Assetto Corsa Al. If you know anyone with a rift try and see what it is like!

I will keep you posted.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 16:38

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Alright, after 1,5 years after the last post on this topic I have bought the Oculus Rift (and Oculus Touch controllers which came in the package). The tutorials were good for orienting yourself in the VR space.

WHY OCULUS RIFT

So far I've tried the HTC Vive with the Space Pirate Training FPS game and Job Simulator and the PS VR with DIRT Rally. With the HTC Vive I had issues with field of view (FOV) and resolution (turned out of be focus point like in cameras; some VR headsets have the focus point closer or further away). With PS VR I played Dirt Rally and it was great.

Right now the biggest players on the market are Oculus Rift, HTC Vive (Pro) and PS VR. The Rift and the Víve have a resolution of 1,080 x 1,200-pixel resolution for each eye with a 90 Hz (90 fps) refresh rate. This translates into 2,160 x 1,200 for both eyes, with a 90Hz refresh rate. The field of view is 110° for both. I think the Rift has a bigger field of view, but that may be be just because I haven't used the Vive to compare to in a year or more. Or maybe I just didn't have the Vive properly aligned when I did get to try it.

I don't have a Playstation so PS VR was pretty much out of the question. The Rift is around 450 € (400 € on sale!) and comes with a headset, two sensors and two Oculus Touch controllers. Officially it only supports 180° tracking (2 sensors in front of you, none in the back) but some have had success with placing one sensor in front and the other behind you.

The HTC Vive comes with a similar setup; a headset, two "lighthouses"(sensors) and two controllers. Some have said that the Oculus Rift controllers are the best but I can't say which are better. It's been over a year since the quick demo I had with the Vive. The HTC Vive with 2 sensors and 2 controllers are about 700 €. Some games only work with Oculus and some only with the Vive and vice versa but there are ways to overcome this. As far as I know, the Vive only needs one USB port for it to work, compared to the Rift's three. The headset is plugged in but the Vive "Lighthouses" only need power from a power outlet. This also makes placing the sensors easier, you can place them further away from each other, enabling a bigger play area.

The HTC Vive Pro comes with a headset with a resolution of 2x1440x1600 making it a double 2k monitor in a way and also making VR even more demanding for the computer than it is already. The price in Finland for HTC Vive Pro + 2 sensors + 2 controllers? 1500 €. For that money I could buy Oculus Rift for myself AND TWO of my friend WITH some games so we could play some multiplayer VR games together.

A good thing about the HTC devices is that the sensors can be used with many other headsets, not just with the Vive. But not with Rift. In practice this means that if you buy the Oculus Rift, you'll get a good headset and controllers but if you want to switch to anything else, you'll have to buy separate sensors and controllers along with whichever VR headset you wish to play with. This makes Oculus the Apple of VR headsets. Oculus is also owned by Facebook, and CAN be connected to your Facebook account if you so choose.

I don't think I would be playing that much VR games so price was pretty much the leading point in which VR headset to get. So I got the Oculus Rift. There are other, cheaper headset available, but the Rift is a still a very competitive choice. There will be an Oculus Rift Quest with a higher resolution available later. Pimax has a VR headset that sounds compelling, but after reading user reviews it isn't in the same league even with some higher specs.

SETUP

The basic oculus Rift requires quite a few ports from your PC; 2 x 3.0 USB for the sensors, 1 x 3.0 USB + 1 x HDMI for the headset and yet another USB, which can be 2.0, for an optional third sensor. In total, 3 x USB port and 1 x HDMI port for the basic experience, and 4 x USB + 1 x HDMI for a full 360° experience. Plug in a racing wheel while also keeping your mouse and keyboard plugged in for convenience and that's 6 or 7 USB ports! The two sensors included in the package are placed in front of you and the optional one or two (they come with a 5 m long extension cable!) sensor behind you.

A thing about VR games is the space requirement. Some games, like racing and flying simulators can be played while sitting down (also the game I Expect You To Die for example, but it does require some space around you). By moving some chairs around I can create a space of about 2 m x 2 m which has been mostly good so far. Also, there's the HDMI/USB wire coming from the headset to the computer. In hectic games I suppose you could get tangled up with wires.

As for the sensors, I put them on the computer table on both sides of the monitor. After a while with Superhot VR and other games I decided to prop them up so now they are both twice as high as they used to be. Meaning a smaller blind spot for the sensors, so in practice I can reliaby pick up weapons further away from the center in Superhot VR, for example.

Setting up the headset may take a bit. There's three straps so you can put it on your head comfortably, as well as a lense distance lever. At first it can be tough to get the right position for the headset but once you find it, it's easy to swap between two players with a similar head size.

There is a rubber band in the headset so putting it back on is easy. But there's a design fault in it; the headphone for the right earphone is very suspectible to malfunction. There are some duct tape solutions on the internet and you can also remove the headphones altogether (with the official Oculus headphone tool or a flathead screwdriver) and replace them with your own headphones if you like. I've had problems with the right earphone since the day I started using Oculus Rift but wiggling it works. Lately I've had no problems at all.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Putting the headset on the first time is quite difficult. You will flinch if an enemy/bullet gets close. Teleportation controls feel strange at first. Moving without teleportation feels even stranger. Moving your head around the 3d space make the sounds move around correnspingly just like with any other headset. Playing with speaker sounds can get disorienting.

GAMES

The game selection for VR games is a bit limited compared to the game market as a whole. VR is still a niche market. There are some VR only games and there are some that support a VR system as well as a monitor. I will be focusing on PC games as I don't have a Playstation.

With the purchase I got Robo Recall, an arcade shooter with teleportation movement. At first it was very difficult, but after a while/playing other games it got easier. Oculus Store and Steam have some free games to try.

- SUPERHOT VR (different from the regular 2d SUPERHOT)

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself." - Morpheus, The Matrix, 1999

The visuals may be simplistic, but the gameplay is pretty much The Matrix - The Game. Time only moves when you move. So you can plan your next move by just standing still, and of course dodging bullets is possible by moving slowly to the side or even by crouching. Each level has you against red enemies in a monochrome world and some weapons to take them down with. Weapons can be thrown at enemies, and so can various objects in the world, such as bottles and throwing stars. The enemies die with a single bullet that hits them - and so do you. I do think that you need some space in your room for dodging bullets and picking up weapons. May not work with a very small space.

Possibly the best VR game there is at least if you like The Matrix.

SUPER
HOT

SUPER
HOT

- I EXCPECT YOU TO DIE

This is a sitting down game. It's a humoristic spy game in which you are thrown into situations where you must use your surroundings to succeed. You can reach for items with your hands ( =controllers) but you must also master the art of telekinesis (point at an object and press some other buttons) to succeed. If you only have a small play area, you can use telekinesis for everthing. Rotating dials is much easier with telekinesis for some reason. It's basically a room escape game with some quick decisions to make. Sometimes I wished I had 360° tracking but I did manage to complete it anyway.

- BUDGET CUTS

A stealth game in which you use a teleport gun to first scout around and then to teleport to the next location. You can also hide behind corners, desks and whatever you find. I haven't played much, and even if it does ask you to select between 180° and 360° tracking and you can use the Oculus Rift Touch joystick to turn around it begs for 360° tracking to work properly. The controllers don't know where they are if your body is between them and the sensors. This will be fixed with an additional sensor, which I have ordered. Until then I don't think I can play this in the proper way. The additional sensor will help me with many othe games as well.

- ROBO RECALL

Back to the free game to all Oculus Touch (controller) owners. It's an arcade game in which you shoot robots. You can find pistols/revolvers in your thigh holsters and a shotgun/plasma rifle in your back holsters. You get points for completing certain objectives in each level. You can also grab a robot and tear a limb/head off or throw it away. New enemies show up after a few levels. There are simple boss levels. You can upgrade your weapons with various things depending on the weapon. Some weapons get a laser sight making aiming easier (aiming from the hip is still doable but you can also aim like with a real weapon by bringing it to eye level first) and you can even turn the shotgun into a rocket launcher! Lots of fun after the initial confusion.

- ASSETTO CORSA

After an hour of setting up Assetto Corsa, Logitech Profiler and other settings Assetto Corsa was finally ready to be used. One of the first things you will notice that adjusting settings in-game with the mouse is awkward to say the least. Then there's setting the in-game seat position so the in-game wheel matches the level of the real racing wheel. You can also hide the in-game wheel altoghether but I think that sounds pretty unrealistic.

As for the actual racing, it's much more immersive to be able to see nothing but the car and the track even if you move your head, but reading the dials is difficult with a relatively low resolution. This time I didn't feel like my chair and body was moving around in the corners but the audiovisual experience was very good. You can also lean out of the driver's door window like Ace Ventura or even inspect your car from any spot if you walk around a bit.

STILL NOT TESTED

Dirt Rally, Project Cars, ADR1FT, any other games that work with Oculus Rift. VR games I have not bought but will probably buy at some point: Belko VR: An Escape Room Experiment, IronWolf VR, Megaton rainfall, Pavlov VR, Virtual Virtual Reality, The Spy Who Shrunk Me, and Sairento VR.

From what I've gathered from reviews, the free Mission: ISS and the paid Lone Echo are really good space simulators where you grab and pull handles to fling yourself around zero gravity environments.
I will probably try those once I get the third sensor and if Lone Echo goes on sale.

CONCLUSIONS

Whenever there's new technology, there are three types of people; the early adapters, the regular consumers and the late adapters. I think VR technology is still in the early adapter period. It's definitely not a thing most consumers have at the moment. The price is still quite high for the average person and most games can't just be converted into VR games with a touch of a button. So it's mostly just purely VR games with the occasional simulator you can use an expensive VR setup with. The thing is, it's very difficult to just use words, images or even full screen videos to show what VR is like. It really has to be experienced yourself to understand what it really is like. The next may be a subjective opinion, but picking up weapons with your hands and turning around to aim and shoot enemies while dodging bullets in slow motion in Superhot VR may be something that can never be replicated with a monitor and a mouse+keyboard in the same way. It just is completely different to press ctrl to crouch and to actually crouch yourself and then maybe blindly fire over cover or peeking over and taking pot shots than to click around with a mouse. In most FPS games you are restricted in how you can aim your weapons. In VR it's possible to shoot around corners and cover, and to shoot two pistols in any direction you wish at the same time.

But with the limited amount of VR content, how long will it keep us interested? The games I've played so far have been short. Will Half-Life 3 be a VR game? Will the multiplayer games such as Pavlov VR keep the VR community interested?

VERY SHORT VERSION

VR is expensive but fun in unimaginable ways, but for how long will the fun last? I don't think I will play any racing games without the Oculus after this. VR has changed racing games completely. There are also some VR-only games that could not be played in any other way. The immersion is a big factor. But most VR only games are pretty short with little replay value. As for normal 2d games like Battlefield or Arma VR does nothing unless the developers make their games work in VR. I strongly suggest you to try different VR headset systems with different games you'd like to find out if you'd like VR. With Oculus Rift I think you will soon figure out if you'd like a third sensor or not.

Posted on: 2018/12/8 0:20

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Try Elite Dangerous Al, not sure if you already own it. Amazing!
Also XPlane 11

Posted on: 2018/12/23 21:54

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.