Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Top 3 Steering Wheels for the PC
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Let's hear about the best steering wheels available.

I think it would be worth while to let folks know about decent steering wheels for an affordable price.

Get the wheels turning and sound off!!

Posted on: 2015/1/31 0:01

Re: Top 3 Steering Wheels for the PC
Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
(taken straight from the periodic challenge thread)

I've probably recommended some wheels numerous times, but I'll do it again.
I'm using the Logitech G27, which is one of the best wheels around. Three great pedals, a six-speed gear shifter, 900° turning force feedback steering wheel with flappy paddles behind it for gear shifting... But the thing is, it's usually about 300€. Right now one can be bought for about 250$. With well over a hundred hours in various racing games, I can say it has been worth it. Englishman bonus: you can attach the gear shifter on the left side of the wheel just as well! And nothing forces it to be attached on the same level as the wheel, so it's possible to put it on the hip level like in a real car.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-00 ... acing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4

Another one I can recommend is the Logitech Driving Force GT. The wheel turns 900° and has great force feedback effects. However, the pedals (throttle and brake, clutch is missing) aren't very good. It has a sequential (up/down) gear shifter. The prices are usually about 100$-150$. Right now you can get one for 120$.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlaySt ... ce-Racing-3/dp/B0015HYPOO

If your monetary situation allows it, Vrindu has set up and example for the best setup available: a Thrustmaster T500 steering wheel+pedals, a cup seat and an H-pattern gear shifter (not sure if he had one yet). They should be of a high quality, but they are very pricey. I almost considered selling my G27 and getting a T500 for about 400 € (100 € more than the G27), but then I noticed the gear shifter is sold separately for over a hundred euros. Gulp.

The main thing to check when buying your first wheel is that is has force feedback and a general rule of thumb is that a wheel costing less than 100 € won't be fun to use. The cheap wheels don't have any feel to them so driving is difficult. Having a clutch pedal and an H-pattern gear shifter isn't mandatory, but makes driving much more fun.

The Logitech G25 should be very much like the newer G27, except it's slightly noisier, you can switch the gear shifter between H-pattern and sequential styles, the wheel only has two buttons instead of six and the pedals cannot be adjusted. Overall an excellent choice, and one can be bought for only 150 $ in Amazon! If you're looking for a good price-quality ratio, this one can't be beaten, provided the wheel is in good condition like the sellers say.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G25-Racing-Wheel/dp/B000I7NRNC

Posted on: 2015/1/31 15:06

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
I did feel as if I had asked the question before. I even looked in a couple of spots in the forum, but did not find the topic thread. Of course, I did not find the thread because the information was buried as a post within a thread.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 15:42
Click to see original Image in a new window

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Here is some more info:

Quote:

sfscriv wrote:
Are any of our competitors racing with a mouse and/or keyboard?

Do you have to purchase a steering wheel to get a decent time?

A very quick reply to both questions scriv

Q1......NO. I think this would be virtually impossible to get any 'feel' and would probably put you off driving games for life!

Q2......NO. Viper and myself play with a Logitech Dual Shock controller:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-Action-Game-Pad/dp/B0000ALFCI

You can see for yourself that we are up there with the 'wheel and pedals' guys time wise.
For the price this controller gives good feel for steering, throttle and brakes.

However, if you can afford wheel and pedals you cannot beat the immersion this creates.
I know Taz, Al and Vrindu use lovely setups. Vrindu (who works in the same office as Viper) told me he can feel which wheel of the four is giving way and can compensate to stay in control!
I'm sure Taz and Al would back this up.

Good wheel and pedal setups are very expensive, but are totally worth it if you love driving games.
Guessing the cost of Taz and Al's gear, I would say around £200.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-00 ... acing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4

Vrindu has spent around £500 which include the seat etc.

I would advise getting the Logitech controller as a cheap introduction to driving games. Any controller would do the job as long as there are two sticks, one for steering and one for throttle/brakes.

Quote:

pershainovitsh wrote:
Wobbly is absolutely correct. As has been shown over and over again, you don't need a steering wheel to get good lap times. Wobbly is constantly in the lead with his gamepad. But now Vrindu is has shown a new level of driving ability with his steering wheel setup.

Having a steering wheel and pedals (and a gear shifter...) greatly enhances the experience. You know how playing an FPS or the latest NHL game feels nothing like the real thing? Playing with a steering wheel in the cockpit view gets you very close to the real feeling of driving. Of course you won't feel the G-forces but you do control the car just like you would in real life. Just turn off all driving aids, especially automatic gearbox, and you won't regret spending so much money on a wheel as you're having so much fun. :P

Different games have a different kind of a feel to them. Assetto Corsa is a very realistic simulator where driving is intuitive. Something like Need for Speed Shift is fun to drive, but not very realistic, which made it less fun for me. Even different sims have a different driving feel. You'll just have to see what suits you.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 15:54

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Al,

The links were broken, so I attempted to find the correct webpage and replace the links.

Al, Could you check to make sure the links are correct/

Posted on: 2015/1/31 16:09

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
I don't see anything wrong with them.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 12:09

Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information
I think Al has it spot on. I have borrowed a Logitech driving force GT and really like it(although I havnt beaten my times on the gamepad yet). This is entry level but does have force feedback, apparently anything less than this isn't worth it. If you can afford it the G27 is the next step up. I have tried Vrindus Thrustmaster T500 with Ferrari wheel and it is awesum but costly. Fanatec also apparently make some very good high end wheels

Posted on: 2015/2/1 20:33

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
The Logitech G27 is only 200 $ on Newegg at the moment. With a third of the usual price off, it's an excellent deal for anyone wanting a good racing wheel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104330

Posted on: 2015/3/7 18:26

Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information
Al,

Am very tempted but when you add on TAX and shipping its another £100

Posted on: 2015/3/8 18:20

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Oh man, and I thought it was the deal of a lifetime! For any Americans interested, you can probably get it at a more sensibe price without the taxes and insane shipping costs.

Amazon.co.uk has the G27 for £185 with free delivery, making it about £32 cheaper than the usual 300€/£215 I've seen around. Not a once in a lifetime deal but it could be worse.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Forc ... 41991&sr=8-1&keywords=g27

Posted on: 2015/3/8 19:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.