Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Should we transition to Discord as our Primary VoIP Tool?
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
If/When we transition to Discord, WE will need to notify folks.

Let's get this topic discussed, I'll make the decision, and THEN we notify our members, PCGN, and friends.

There will need to be a collective information campaign in order to not leave anyone out.

- =SWF=Wheeler was caught off-guard by this issue.

- Some of our =SWF= Members are not online gaming everyday and its challenging to communicate with them.
... =SWF=wobblyone, =SWF=MadViper, and the Jersey Boys
... =SWF=pershainovitsh (Al),=SWF=Phoenix, =SWF=Agon, and their friends
... =SWF=Rache, =SWF=BackToTheFight, and =SWF=Tiberian
... New recruits and Old veterans

Posted on: 2016/9/24 13:34
Click to see original Image in a new window

Just getting started.
Just getting started.

See User information
Idk, personally I like teamspeak because of my familiarity with it and the other teamspeak channels i go to... I understand discord is free and have used it before, but Spartan's short list of cons is enough for me to deem it a no-go. Maybe have it kept as a back-up for when TS is down or acting wonky?

Posted on: 2016/9/24 17:04

Just getting started.
Just getting started.

See User information
as an edit, i forgot to add in my pros that you can link steam and many other applications to discord. It will automatically import your friends that have discord as well.

Posted on: 2016/9/26 2:29

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
As mentioned above the clan has in the past moved programs to accommodate the evolving world of PC gaming.

Is discord the next step? possibly. As mentioned we have only just paid for the TS server. So I suggest we make the most of testing discord and next time the TS server needs paying we will be able to make an informed decision about whether to stick to TeamSpeak or move to discord.

I have it all ready, although I am yet to test it. If its good then we should switch, this will require as many members testing it as possible.

Posted on: 2016/9/26 16:03

Re: Official/Unofficial =SWF= Discord
Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information
Ok heres my 2 cents on Discord

Ive been using Discord for quite a while and I quite enjoy the features it has

-Posting youtube links puts the video in discord for all to see
-Admin abilities and Moderation is as good as ever
-Its 100% free
-The ability to use the Mobile app and PC chat program simultaneously is great I can hear/chat when im not even home

Now the differences between Teamspeak and Discord are minor, developers are working on adding more features, heres a list of some things

-Discord has no ability to upload/download files
-Sub channels dont exist in discord however developers said they will add the feature
-Discord does not support plugins however an optional community version called BetterDiscord or BetterDiscord+ does support plugins and supports themes
-Video links and regular links will show the video or give you A synopsis of the website for the link posted, teamspeak does not do this
-The voice quality is amazing if not better than Teamspeak
-You create an account with discord and if you ever have to reinstall or use it on another computer all you have to do is Install and login and done you have all your Discord severs there no asking for IP or info to connect to it
-Discord does not require a program to connect they also have a browser version that requires no download
-Discord provides a quick link to invite anyone to join it also
-Discord offers bots for server moderation just like teamspeak also
-You can link facebook and steam to discord to find others that use discord

Alot of the features may not mean much to most people but the program is in constant development and improving where as teamspeak just feels like the same boring program IMO

Posted on: 2016/9/27 14:56

Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information
As promised here are my pros & cons of Discord v TeamSpeak3.

Discord's Pros:

1. Stable environment, not based on an NFO server, and their server farms are secured from DDOS attacks of a wide variety.

2. Easy user interface, its all very clean, options are easy to look into and make changes.

3. VOIP Quality - their audio codec is superior to even the best TS3 offers, simple.

4. Text Chat Channels - you can setup different channels, and even restrict some chat & voice channels to member permissions based on member type. Also pictures directly show up in chat as do youtube and some embedded videos.

5. System Performance Hit - TeamSpeak 3 takes up an additional 8% CPU usage on my system (FX8350 8 core CPU @ 4.4 GHZ), and Discord only uses an additional 128 mb of RAM on my system over TeamSpeak. Overall Discord wins the performance game, it uses less critical resources as having 16 GB of RAM means that 128 mb of RAM is nothing to me, in fact Google Chrome eats up way more than that. CPU power however is a different performance story in all, as that is harder to maintain, and TS3 requires more than Discord.

6. Cost - TeamSpeak 3 at our current costs according to Scriv is around 40 USD ANNUALLY. Discord costs us 0, yes 0 USD annually, its free.

7. Admin Controls - some of TeamSpeak3's admin controls are archaic and clunky to say the least, and can take time to get setup properly. Discord's admin UI is entirely different and is extremely easy to use, the Discord server was setup by 2 people (Iceman14555 & myself) we were able to almost exactly mirror the =SWF= TeamSpeak3 server with admin permissions in a few hours.

8. Privacy - servers are based on an INVITE system, much less chance of dealing with random jackasses looking to troll servers.

9. Auto AFK - YEP, we have that feature already in place, after 60 minutes of inactivity (adjustable) the server bot will automatically move you to the AFK channel, no more manual moving patrons around that are AFK!

10. Constant development and improvements - Yes TS3 still updates, however the content in them, and features they still lack cost them this pro. Discord has a whole slew of new content coming soon in updates, many of which are in TS3, such as a private file storage system, and additional FORUM LINKING TOOLS. I am not joking, some RSS forums like our own will be able to directly link to our Discord allowing members to post from Discord to the Forums, and see new posts from the Forums, Scriv this should excite you.

Cons:

1. No current file storage system like in TS3

2. When the Discord servers go down for maintenance/upgrade/outage ALL Discord servers on that farm go down.

3. No ACRE / TFAR plugins available at this time (the mod teams are working on it).

Final Verdict -

Discord is what TeamSpeak3 wants to be when it grows a pair, that pair drop, and it becomes a man. The biggest issue for Discord right now is when there is an outage all of their servers go down. They have plans to rectify this by using multiple farms per region so when one goes down the service transfers to another.

DISCORD WINS HANDILY.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 13:22
Not all bullets are created equal, and the most expensive bullets with the best packaging are usually gimmick rounds.

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
After using Discord with the others I am impressed, I'm still undecided on the audio quality, I would say its more or less the same as TS3. Apart form that it seems good.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 11:52

Quite a regular.
Quite a regular.

See User information
Well Spartan said everything i was gonna say. So my review of discord is the same as Spartans.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 17:51

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
This appears to be very promising. Looks like folks are have a very good impression of Discord. Let's attempt to get everyone to try it; especially me.

If your computer performance will allow it, make sure you log on to TeamSpeak while you are using Discord or at least have one person in the group on TeamSpeak.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 19:20

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.