Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Assetto Corsa
Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Check these links Al. Sorry I missed your message on Steam.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/

http://www.virtualr.net/

It is shaping up to be a great game.

Edit: I will take some in-game sceenies to persuade you

Posted on: 2014/3/6 21:34

Re: Assetto Corsa
Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
You don't have to persuade me at all! I already bought it and have played it for two hours. After tweaking the force feedback settings down a notch or two and adding something called filler, it started to feel good.

I drove a few cars around the Nurburgring GP track, Imola and Silverstone. With all assists off, driving a Ferrari F40 is difficult. A newer Ferrari 458 is easier to drive, but it still has a really powerful engine, so it's easy to drive off the track for driving too fast or just start spinning in a corner.

The Abarth (a modified Fiat 500, I think) and the BMW M3 from the 80's weren't too powerful for me, so I liked them more. I'll just have to learn how to drive those and move on to more powerful cars. Even if the M3 "only" has about 250 horsepower, it's quite easy to spin out, at least in my hands. So far I've only managed to catch the tail once. But I'm learning and getting better.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 17:30

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
I've played Assetto Corsa for a total of four hours on the weekend. I'm starting to learn how to drive the Ferraris. The road version of the Ferrari 458 is difficult to control, but if you pick the stage 3 tuning version, it's much easier to control. The Ferrari 599XX is also manageable and fun to drive. The F40 requires a lot more from the driver, so I'm not very good with that one.

The Pagani Zonda is insane, just like in Race 07. Driving it is like trying to control a tornado. But maybe some day I will master that one as well.

Mostly I've been doing hotlaps, but I've also tried some of the challenges. I can't beat any of the drag races. There was one challenge where I had to beat a certain time on a certain track in a BMW M3 E30 from the 80's. I wasn't familiar with the track and had some trouble mostly because the sun was so low and I couldn't see. Another similiar challenge was with a Ferrari 599XX in Monza. I thought I didn't know the track, but it was in the F1 2012 demo. I did reasonably well, but ended up driving off the course a few times. I was still 15 seconds away from the target time. What could be more fun than driving a Ferrari to the limit? This means more practice and more fun.

If anyone's still wondering, Assetto Corsa is an upcoming PC racing simulator that can be bought now on Steam Early Access. While it's still on beta, you can buy it for about 35 €, and you'll get the full game and all upcoming updates (at least until release) for free. For this weekend it's just 25 €, so I bought it right away. The full version will be 45 €. The graphics, the sounds, the physics and the driving are superb.

Here's a video

Posted on: 2014/3/9 19:46

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Time to post our best times in Assetto Corsa!

I got 2:10:618 on the Nurburgring GP with the Ferrari 458 stage 3. (my favorite track and favorite car) I suppose there's room for improvement, but for now I am the Spartan champion on that track with that car with that tuning setting in that game!

I don't think the other records are even worth mentioning here... I tried the challenge where you're supposed to drive a Ferrari F40 around a certain track under 2:08:00, but my best time was 3:08:00... I just can't tame the beast! I was actually a few seconds faster while learning the track going about 80 km/h than going as fast as I could and driving off the track all the time.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 21:01

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
2:22 so far. Hell, I'm no where near!

Posted on: 2014/3/14 22:00

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Check your driving lines and try to brake a little bit later, if possible. Also, do try to play with a manual gearbox. With it you can use engine braking to your advantage, use the optimal gear in a corner and shift up/down when YOU want to.

...You'd better be fast with your progress. I have a feeling I could get a quicker time by focusing and driving on the edge.

Here's someone driving the Pagani Huayra on the Nurburgring GP track. The car was only added yesterday, and based on the Pagani Zonda, you'd need to be at least as good as The Stig in order to even keep it on the track.

At around 1:20 and 3:30 you can see him drive through the Michael Schumacher corner. I think that's an important part to focus on when trying to beat your (or my) lap times. If you're driving too fast, you'll drive off the track, and it can be quite terrifying to drive through it at 150 km/h. I think that's about my speed with the Ferrari 458. With the Formula 1 car I could use downforce to my advantage and blast through it at 200 km/h.

According to the patch notes, they fixed the concrete size in the particular corner. I wonder what was wrong with it...And how will it affect my speed and times.

Do you know if it's possible to load a Steam friend's time on your computer and maybe even have a ghost car of your friend's time? I've noticed that somewhere in the pitstop menu it says "select opponent", but the pop-up list is always empty.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 13:01

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Thanks Al, I will try manual for starters. I don't know about Steam, but will be looking into it. It could be an in game feature when released.

I checked out F1 2013 multiplayer and it has a 'create a server' option enabling you to invite friends to race against bots. Looks promising!

Posted on: 2014/3/15 21:58

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
That would be REALLY cool to be able to race the ghost of your friend and try and beat their time.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 15:00
Click to see original Image in a new window

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Get back out there Al !

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2014/3/16 15:21

Site Admin
Site Admin