Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Quote:

sfscriv wrote:
Special ED
PCGN
27 DEC 2015
"I would be happy to wing up with you guys. However, I'm wanted in the Federation space, my pledge is with A Lavigny-Duval."

Fire488
PCGN
27 DEC 2015
"Don't know who my pledge is with but I'll team up with you as well."

Thanks guys, as soon as something is up and running you are welcome.
Special ED it just happens I am at A Lavigny-Duval's home base! I have to stay away from Cubio for a bit. I have a 1,000,000 fine waiting for me!

Posted on: 2015/12/28 13:15

Re: Elite: Dangerous
Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Quote:

sfscriv wrote:
Phoenix
=SWF=
27 DEC 2015
I'm definitely up for it though, there's still so much about the game that I need to learn!"

If there is anything you need to know Phoenix I might be able to help.
I've done a lot of trading, exploring and combat.
Don't ask me about mining, smuggling or piracy! I've not done that (yet). I might be looking at smuggling soon as it pays well!

Posted on: 2015/12/28 13:24

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Taz just purchased this game. Be on the lookout for him.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 15:38
Click to see original Image in a new window

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Quote:

sfscriv wrote:
Taz just purchased this game. Be on t he look out for him.

Nice one Taz! Just holler if you need any help. As I said to Phoenix I've a good knowledge of general game-play and ship load-outs etc.

Check out the links in previous posts for great info

Posted on: 2015/12/31 17:12

Quite a regular.
Quite a regular.

See User information
Quote:

wobblyone wrote:

If there is anything you need to know Phoenix I might be able to help.
I've done a lot of trading, exploring and combat.
Don't ask me about mining, smuggling or piracy! I've not done that (yet). I might be looking at smuggling soon as it pays well!

Well I just got back into an Eagle and I've been roaming around Nav Beacons killing wanted pilots to make money. I can never seem to find any good contracts because they are all 'unattainable'. I also know NOTHING about 'pledging' to people or whatever. The most in-depth thing I've done in the game so far is taking on a mission to find and kill someone specific... only to find out they were flying in a fleet of 3 Anacondas. I kind of got my sh*t rocked... bahahahahaha!

Posted on: 2015/12/31 17:17

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Just got the game. $15 on sale.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 18:50
Click to see original Image in a new windowThe magic googlebox knows all!

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
It is tough at first guys! I shied away from combat until I had at least a Cobra. And never take the 'assassination' missions Phoenix. Keep practicing at Nav.Beacons until you have more power. The 'kill Pirate' missions are good. These can be done at Nav. Beacons.

Here is a basic rundown.

The missions are reliant on rank, cargo space, ship size and maybe something else
As well as your overall 'Naval' rank (with Federation or Empire), you rank up individually in combat, trade and exploration. So if you favour combat the higher rank you are, the more rewarding the combat missions will be.
Don't worry about 'pledging' to anyone yet, I would settle in a bit first!

The first thing you need to do is modify your ship correctly, then adjust it depending on which 'career' path you choose ie.combat-aggressive or trading-defensive.

With any ship you buy, always upgrade the FSD (Frame Shift Drive) first to A grade if you can afford it. This gives you the best jump distances.
To get the max out of your FSD you then need the lightest modules.
Try and upgrade everything from the default E grade to D grades (D are the lightest). The exception to this is the Shield Generator. Try to get this up to A as soon as poss. for obvious reasons!
The Utility Mounts I would say first get a 'Chaff' launcher.Then Point Defense.This automatically counters missile attacks.
Later, throw in a Shield Cell Bank. These give you a number of shield 'repairs' on the go (which have saved my life on many occasions)

I've left weapons till last because unless you can be effective there is not much point. I didn't have any weapons at all until I got a Cobra!
This is because I was mainly trading and my tactic was to evade (run)!

The weapons can be mounted on (in order of power):
Fixed - you need to get the target in you sights.
Gimbal - auto lock if you are facing the right direction.
Turret - swivels onto target anywhere.

I have all turrets as my ship is a big space barge and won't turn quickly enough in combat. The turrets find the target for me, but are less powerful.

The weapons then come in two types. Thermal (lasers) or Kinetic (canons etc)
Lasers are generally used to destroy shields, then kinetics for the hulls. The kinetic weapons use ammo which will cost you to replace.

Lasers have three types (in order of power):
Beam, Burst & Pulse.

Now the more powerful your weapons (and other modules), the bigger your Power Plant has to be. So it is about compromise.
I use Burst lasers because the Power Plant I need for Beams is 162 million! (yes, just for the power plant)

Use either of these tools to play around with your ship set ups:

http://www.edshipyard.com/

http://coriolis.io/

The weapons are a personal choice. You need to experiment to find what suits you best.
I use a combination of Burst lasers and missiles. I can fire off a missile while the lasers cool off.
Also remember Gimbal and Turreted weapons lock onto the target, so are reliant on your sensors. Again this is a compromise as a class A sensor is heavier the the D. so will reduce your jump distance.
Oh! if you use turreted weapons make sure you select 'fire at target only' because otherwise they will 'fire at will' which will dump you in deep poo!

An important point when spending credits is to always keep an eye on your insurance (re buy) cost.
If you die and do not have enough insurance you will lose everything and have to start the game over!
It is not worth the risk.

I hope this helps the new guys. It makes things easier if you understand the ship set ups

Fly safe CMDR's !

Oh, and it's new year! Happy New year guys!

Posted on: 2016/1/1 1:43

Quite a regular.
Quite a regular.

See User information
I get so unbelievably bored with trading. I did a little bit back and forth between a couple systems when I found some items that they sold to each other for profit, but just to get enough money up to buy an eagle, which I used in the Nav Beacons. Now I have a viper, and I am enjoying the nav beacon combat very much. I'm thinking that bounty hunting is going to be my thing for quite some time. I pledged to an independent (rather than empire or federation) because I liked the sound of the weapon that you can unlock at one of the ranks. Now I will just be watching some tutorial videos on how to move that power up the list... I just recently moved my viper over 200LY to my power's HQ, so we'll see how I fare from there! I think the system is called Polevnic.

Posted on: 2016/1/3 12:16

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Looks like you have pledged to Pranav Antal Phoenix.

I think you might have to deliver stuff to systems to expand or establish your power. Like you say, best to watch YouTube vids.

Before you dock at the destination, hang out at the Nav.Beacon to get some kills then cash in at the station.

If you feel you have pledged to the wrong power, you can leave at any time. There is just a delay in joining another. (a day I think)

Posted on: 2016/1/3 13:51

Quite a regular.
Quite a regular.

See User information
Yeah I saw that in the video I watched. As long as I don't defect, I should be okay. I do like the ethos though. And I love rooting for an underdog. But also he had the most CC (or CP? I can't remember off-hand) available out of all the 'underdogs'.

Posted on: 2016/1/3 18:50

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.