Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Cities: Skylines
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Cities: Skylines is a city simulation which places emphasis on creating and maintaining an expansive city. Become the creator of a civil infrastructure masterpiece. Use your imagination to control the progress of a populated area that will face continuing challenges.

Posted on: 2016/9/24 20:50

Re: Cities: Skylines
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Posted on: 2016/9/24 21:08

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Posted on: 2016/9/28 2:23

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:03

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
I have three start-ups, but they are not ready for public viewing.  Kind of have the Heroes and Generals bug right now.  Cities: Skylines has taken a back seat.  I do recognize the entertainment value - 'Creative Control.'  Skylines does educate as to the complexity of the role of the civil engineer.  I will put some screen captures up when I attain a functional village.

Issues so far:
- Sewage overflowing because the pump-house was not connected to the power-grid.

- No influx of people because I left the 'temporary' connecting road at the plot of land entrance connected.  At the very beginning if you put a little road between the Interstate entrance/exit you will have access to the other types of roads.

- I want parallel roads, residences, etc.  I want construction projects to line-up and connect properly.  I have started using 'alignment' dirt roads and then destroy them after I attain the desired layout.

- Money needed.  For the later ventures, I activated the  Content Manager/Mods/ 'Unlimited Money' and 'Unlock All.' 

- Understanding how the game functions: 'pause' the game immediately to get the infrastructure established without losing money, 'page up' for elevated roads, sewage down stream from water collection, air flow map for wind power

- I want to establish a modular template before going back to the limited resource main game.  My understanding (unconfirmed) is the ratios are 5 residential, 1 commercial, and 2 industrial.  Here are the other unofficial categories for consideration:  public works (water, electricity, etc.), public service (fire, police, hospital, etc.), Entertainment/Tourism, and all of your linear considerations (road, pipes, rail, power, etc).

- Residence (5) then Commercial (1) then Industrial (2).  Start with a blue collar approach then bring in the white collar folks (offices and downtown). Centrally located public services and keep the public works on the periphery.

- Spacing.  Too close - issues with congestion and pollution.  'Effective use of the space' versus 'would I want to live there?'.  I was going for the effective use of space and have now transitioned more to would I want to live there.

- Honestly, I have more written on paper than constructed in-game.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 14:21
Click to see original Image in a new window

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Posted on: 2017/4/1 14:27

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Posted on: 2017/4/2 14:55

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
There are numerous different models in real life to take into consideration.

Afghanistan - the crops have to be near the rivers. And the housing is generally clustered just outside of the arable land.
Germany - the crops are the focus and the villages are relatively packed in small pockets scattered across the rolling country side
Korea - much of the land is rugged mountains and the populated areas are down in the valleys

I think just determining the layout of an airport in real life would be very interesting.  There are so many variations across the globe.  I have yet to visit the ideal airport.  It just seems as though the engineers can't figure it out.  It's neat when the train station is co-located with the airport for example.

What pulls people to reside in a specific area?  What causes people to leave an area?

Opportunity - Prosperity --> A JOB

Look at all the ghost towns in the United States.  What happened?  The mineral deposits depleted or the companies were encouraged to do business elsewhere.  How did some remote towns survive after the minerals were gone or it was no longer cost effective to continue to mine?  The town had to reinvent itself.  Tombstone, Arizona (tourism)

- What causes companies to stay in a specific location? Taxes, Regulations, Workforce, Infrastructure, Costs, Profit
- Why have the inner cities fallen into disrepair?  Safety -> Businesses depart for a safer location
- Why are the affluent people fleeing to the suburbs? Safety and better schools; the automobile and quality road networks enable longer commutes
- Why do societies transition from rural to urban? Industrialization, utilization of the population, specialization, division of labor
- What is the driving force for individuals and companies -- Self Interest

Back to the job.  Manufacture, Service, Other (Government or Private Business). There is a Manufacture Company.  Then a group of people arrive.  Then the services move closer to the customers which requires more people. Is it a harbor, train junction, airport, government center, tourism, or educational institution?  Why would someone want to move to that location?

Of all the places in the area, why here?  The rivers were a major means to transport goods.  People established markets to trade goods.  People settled next to the markets, oasis, sea harbor etc.  A source of food and water was a major factor in early settlements.  Was the site defendable?  The castles in many instances ended up on the top of hills to make it more likely for the defenders to survive the raid.  Sometimes the populated area started with a source of water or, in more modern times, a gas station.

Posted on: 2017/4/2 17:40

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Posted on: 2017/5/4 0:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.