Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

My Summer Car
Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Who else has been waiting for a simulator of 1990s Finland where you build a car from scratch? Me neither, but here it is; My Summer Car.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516750/?snr=1_7_15__13

www.amistech.com/msc (deliberately made to look like the 90s)

This is really not a game for everyone, not by a long shot. It's an Early Access title, it's made in Unity, it's partially in Finnish (the speech is subtitled, all the car parts have English names but for example the parts catalogue is only in Finnish, but it does have pictures so you don't need a translation), and I have a hunch that foreigners may not understand the Finnish lifestyle portrayed in the game. I guess some would say it's a perfect game and some would say it's an utter waste of time and money. I say it's great.

The point of the game is to build your car from the parts provided and get it inspected so it's legal to drive it. Currently there is only one small car to build. You can spray paint the body and you can order better parts to get better performance. But the thing is, your project car is in a million pieces (neatly placed on the shelves) and there are no instructions. For a man with the car mechanic talent of zero it's a great puzzle while also being educational. For someone with experience it can still be fun to tune the beater to as good as it can get.

While building the car is your main point, you also have to take care of
- hunger
- thirst
- sleep
- urination
- dirtiness
And if you tick the option at the start, you can have permanent death. To keep yourself alive you can go to the store to buy food and drinks (or just drink straight from the tap by leaning towards it while it's running), there's a bed in the house, you can pee wherever you like and to take care of dirtiness, you go in the hot sauna... which you have to heat first, but it's electric so it's easy. Don't forget to save at the toilets.

To make money for food and car parts you can use an axe on logs and bring firewood to a neighbor, using a tractor and a trailer. You can also use a sewage truck to drain waste, and you get paid for it. To get to the shop and the bar, you can drive your van. If you take your car to the mechanic (if the body is in a bad shape due to crashing into things, it probably won't go through an inspection, and using the Jeremey Clarkson way of banging your car with a hammer may just make things worse, so sometimes you should take your car to a professional) you can borrow the mechanic's powerful American RWD automatic transmission car.

You can drink beer and vodka in the game, and get more and more drunk. First your view gets all wobbly and walking straight becomes impossible. After you drink enough (or too much) you will wake up somewhere else on the map and you have no idea how you got there. The game has a button for swearing and giving the finger once you've gotten frustrated trying to get the engine working. It should be very close to an actual engine and its assembly, but to someone with no experience it can get difficult.

Surprisingly, the game supports force feedback steering wheels and even an H-pattern shifter with a clutch pedal. I haven't tried it yet, but my G27 should work. I'll just have to get the car assembled first... It may get uncomfortable if I try to sqeeze the steering wheel, the gear shifter, the keyboard, and the mouse into a position where I could seamlessly switch between them. I'll have to figure out some clever way.

And even when you get the car started and running, you may run into issues. Are you sure you secured each and every single bolt? Is everything adjusted in the way they should? Are the parts connected properly?

Did I get you excited? Did you even read all of the text? The Steam page has some informative videos and screenshots, as well as more summaries. I say it was worth the 15 € I put into it.

Edit: I forgot to mention the cool leaning mechanics: by pressing Q you lean forward, getting you closer to the engine bay for example. Connecting car parts can be tricky, because they have to be aligned pretty well.

Posted on: 2016/10/29 0:30

Re: My Summer Car
Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Great review Al, it looks interesting (and different) I like the drinking bit!
I might give this a try.

Posted on: 2016/10/29 6:45

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Here is a video from the dev. Its a bit slow but I encourage watching the whole thing. It gets pretty funny about half way through and the hits keep coming.

If this doesn't convince you to buy the game nothign else will.

Posted on: 2016/11/26 4:48
Click to see original Image in a new windowThe magic googlebox knows all!

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

I got the game and just completed the car. Here it is in the inspection bay to get it licensed.

First result was a fail. Aparently they don't like you running racing exhaust on the street. And the safety triangle? I had to google that. turns out you have to take it off your tractor and have it in the car or you will fail for that as well. Tomorrow I WILL have plates on it!

Posted on: 2016/11/28 5:45

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
The handwritten part in the additional notes says: "Well this car is a total piece of junk."

Still a lot better than my attempts. At best I've gotten the engine assembled and connected to the transmission, only to drive into a tree on a shopping trip with the van. On another time I did get to the shop safely but then couldn't find my way back to the house. One day I'll get the little car running!

Taz: even after you do get the car inspected, remember there's still things left to do. Mainly just the rally challenge and trying to see how fast you can get the car going with tuning.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 20:27

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Piece of junk only for failing two simple things. Maybe he is just jealous. LoL

Thats the next step. I am going to purchase a few parts, get it inspected then do a bunch of work to raise money for the rest of the parts to tune it in to a proper rally racer. I will post times on the challenge when I get there. Hopefully by the time I'm done with all that more new content will come out for the game. It's been a lot of fun so far.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 1:05

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

I did it!

Now back to work so I can buy some more parts and be the fastest in the land!

Posted on: 2016/11/30 1:24

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Still mocking the car apparently. By the way, you can clean yourself by sweating in sauna. Heat it up first (may take some time before it's hot; just check the thermometer on the wall) and then throw water on the stove!

Posted on: 2016/11/30 17:19

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
The Sauna solves many of life's problem.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 1:22
Click to see original Image in a new window

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

It turns out this game is addicting as crack. Especially if you are a gear/petrol head like I am. Pumping septic tanks and cutting firewood for money to buy food, fuel and parts. And don't forget the odd call in the middle of the night to pick someone up from the pub or to take revenge on a jerk. The driving physics are a bit sloppy and take some getting used to but aren't terrible. The mechanical side of things is really well thought out and even gave me a headache every once and a while trying to figure out why something isn't working like it is supposed to. I even exploded the car in to a fireball in the driveway while trying to tune it. A quick reload later and I found that I had missed tightening a nut on the intake manifold. If you like puzzles or cars in any way you would like this game.

Here is a shot of the front yard looking like a used car lot.

And here she is in all her splended glory. Finally complete with a fresh set of rally tyres and a set of racing slicks in the garage.

Posted on: 2016/12/3 22:02

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.
You cannot use HTML syntax.