Site Admin

See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Ground Branch
by pershainovitsh
17 JUN 2012

Quote:
Current status of shooters
As many have noticed, lately pretty much all FPS and TPS games have turned more or less the same: linear campaigns with "cool" and "dramatic" moments, regenerative health (bloody screen so real), no brain usage required. The same applies to co-op and multiplayer. Ten years ago, in the beginning of the millenium, a new kind of shooter emerged when Tom Clancy himself wanted to make a game based on his novel Rainbow Six. He wanted it to be something different than reflex-based fast-paced games like Quake. He wanted it to be realistic and slow-paced. Red Storm Entertainment then developed the classic tactical shooters like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon. Another notable tactical shooter series was SWAT. But as I earlier said, now most of the games are not tactical nor realistic. Even the sequel to R6 and GR are but a bland shadow of what they used to be.

Our prayers have been answered! ...Or have they?
But now Blackfoot Studios is attempting to make a game to fulfill our hunger for a tactical shooter. The developers definitely have experience and they have the right ideas for the game. It's called Ground Branch. Blackfoot Studios have presented their ideas to numerous publishers, but their reactions have not been favourable. They wanted to change Ground Branch so that it would get a bigger audience, or in other words dumbing it down and making it something else than it's supposed to be.

Quote:
Ground Branch will not be like Battlefield, Red Orchestra, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Arma or like pretty much any shooter that has been released in the past seven years. It is very close to the original Rainbow Six games (pre-Vegas) and that's the goal. (edit: it's actually closer to the original Ghost Recon)

Quote:
The main features of Ground Branch
- No artificial weapon balancing.
- Tactical realism
- Non-linear game design
- Realistic health system (no regenerating health here)
- Wounding system (if you get shot in the arm, you are less accurate, get shot in the leg and you limp etc)
- Weapon and gear customization
- Immediate access to all content
- Mod tools
- Material penetration
- Doors that can be opened/closed at variable speed, kicked open (might take more than one kick) as well as breached with weapons or explosives
- Full and free Dedicated Server support. Host a server wherever you want
- Weapons collide with the world.

Posted on: 2015/5/16 16:48

Re: Ground Branch
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Al,

Why didn't make a thread in our forum about this game?

Maybe you did and it was overlooked...

Posted on: 2015/5/16 16:49

Re: Ground Branch
Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
I suppose I thought they stopped developing after failing to raise the necessary amount on Kickstarter. Luckily that was not the case.

There's a free tech demo on their web page. I'll update here once I've tried it.

http://www.groundbranch.com/Store/

Alright, I've tried it. The tech demo has two maps; a firing range and a killhouse. Both feature stationary and moving targets, with red and blue colors. You can walk, run, sprint (can't aim while sprinting, can aim while running but you'll end up shooting all over the place), crouch, stand upright, and lean left and right. You can engage/disengage the weapon with the press of the middle mouse button, and by scrolling the wheel hold the weapon down or up while disengaged and aim while engaged. Fire modes can be selected if the weapon has more than one. By holding down the tab key you can look around freely. You can have separate sensitivity settings for general looking, looking through non-zooming optics and looking through zooming optics.

Right now there are only a handful of weapons; an M4, an AK47, an MP5-N, an MK12SPR and a M1911 sidearm. There are categories for shotguns and light machine guns but they are empty. You can customise the weapons to use various kinds of optics, different sized magazines, different types of bullets, suppressors, bipods, flashlights etc. The great thing about this is that you can place the attachments wherever the rails allow it. You can also sometimes attach a smaller sight on top of a bigger one.

Gameplay feels pretty good, even if I only got to run around small maps firing at targets. Unreal Engine 4 looks and sounds good. There will be a proper demo and the game will be in some type of an early access at some point. I'll definitely have to start following this game again.

Posted on: 2015/5/16 19:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.
You cannot use HTML syntax.