Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 38 »

Re: Assetto Corsa - Weekly Challenge
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Our next challenge is set.

Remember to use default settings on the vehicle as well.

Wobbly, please add this to your post on the first page. I would do it but as you can see with Al's post, every time I try to fix or edit someone elses post I ruin it. This is due to the editor. There are three and I primaraly use tinyMCE because posts can be edited easier.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 18:44
Click to see original Image in a new windowThe magic googlebox knows all!

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Tried to clean up Al's post. Hope I did not delete anything from his post.

I also updated the initial post in the thread to display the challenge for the next week.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 20:42

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Done Thanks Scriv.

There was only one second between the top three places (podium)

Viper was only six seconds behind first place which is damn good for a 'keyboard and mouse' driver!!

Posted on: 2014/7/6 20:44

Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information
Apologies Al this looked like a long circuit. Have just had a game and it's really scratchy, should be interesting. Taz have adjusted my session tab to the same as yours but not sure about default settings. I currently have my realism set to custom. the current activations are automatic gearbox, automatic throttle blip, automatic clutch, ideal racing line. Stability 100%, tyre wear x1. I think if I take the stability control off I will have no chance of staying on track.
I agree that those challenging for the lead should have the same settings. But us noobs may need a little assistance until we get to know the tracks. Could you post what settings you have please so I can give it a try. unfortunately I don't have a wheel yet

Posted on: 2014/7/6 20:55
Click to see original Image in a new window

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
I think you are right Viper concerning assists.

When you are learning it is best to have all assists on, then back them off gradually.

I found that I actually got better times with the assists off, in particular auto gear change.

I'm happy for you to race as you feel comfortable Viper. You know when you are ready to wean off the assists

Posted on: 2014/7/6 21:04

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Default vehicle settings only. You can use all the assists you need. I just want it to be even amongst all of us as far as the suspension, drivetrain, downforce and tyres.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 22:31
Click to see original Image in a new windowThe magic googlebox knows all!

Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information
Thanks for the clarification Taz. Thats a really good point.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 7:10

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information

Scriv saved the day and my post!

So are we using the long version or the short club version of Vallelunga? I don't know the tracks that well to be able to recognize them from the picture.

About driving assists: while it may be easier to use some when you are still learning, its' probably better if you don't use them after a while. Somehow even Wobbly has gotten faster, and I think having manual gear changing can make a big difference when you are selecting the right gear for the right moment. When braking, changing down makes use of the engine brake, which to my knowledge makes the car slow down faster. It seems to work in real life, and Taz rear-ended me once with his McLaren when I was braking so fast with the Ferrari F40. But that wasn't in real life. I've never used driving assists in Assetto Corsa, so I don't really know how much do they affect the experience. On a keyboard it's probably impossible to even stay on the road without at least traction control.

Viper, try playing with a manual gearbox. Don't worry about the clutch, just pick some keys that you can use to change down and up. You have to have automatic throttle blip control and automatic clutch on. With a more precise throttle control (on a throttle pedal or a gamepad) you could turn auto throttle blip off and with a clutch pedal you could should must turn automatic clutch off! Unless I'm wrong, automatic throttle blip means that you don't have to match the revs yourself when changing gear. Doing this can cause problems with traction when changing down. The BMW M3 E30 is very prone to this, as Wobbly can prove. Every time I overtook him in the race we had a while ago, I would lose grip and spin out in a corner. Since with a keyboard you are either going with full throttle or no throttle, full brakes or no brakes, leave traction control and ABS on. If you do get interested, however, get a proper racing wheel and you can turn everything off!

Posted on: 2014/7/7 15:38

Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information
thanks Al will learn the next track and then try it with gears. Regarding the track I did mean the smaller Vallelunga club track but it appears that everyone maybe using the longer circuit as I can't see anyone putting any times in. Let's say it is the standard Vallelunga track

Posted on: 2014/7/7 17:52

Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information
Al,

Thanks for the advice, tried using the gears and definitely feel more in control. As you say you can be in the right gear at the right time. Was getting worried about taking the assists off but that has definitely helped. Next the clutch and throttle blip
By the way do you need the clutch for changing up and down? am sure I will soon find out

Posted on: 2014/7/7 21:11

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 38 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.