Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Standalone: Observations and Impressions
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Some initial observations, tips, and impressions.

It is bare bones (no tents or recoverable vehicles observed).

Once a single player loots a structure, the loot is gone. I dehydrated/starved to perpetual unconsciousness at least twice due to lack of consumable loot. The requirement to drink and eat is much more frequent as compared to the DayZ mod. Find a can opener. It worth its weight in gold. Start playing after a server restart, if you are in a high traffic area. It would be good to know if anyone has picked up on a pattern for the server restarts. It takes longer to get anywhere as you are inspecting structures that were previously un-enterable.

Believe it or not, there is still a lot of work to be done with the zombies. Breaking line of sight and jogging does not really work. You have to sprint away from them.

Crowbar and baseball bat seem to do about the same amount of damage. Go toe to toe with a zombie and you are fighting with a bat, you will take some damage and need to be ready to bandage. The axe does more damage. Firearms, ammo, and backpacks are very scarce.

Have a shirt ripped up ahead of time and you can consolidate a least three torn clothes into one inventory slot to be used as bandages. I have not returned from unconsciousness even after two epi-pen stabs on one occasion.

Issues during the initial start of the game. Set up your video, gameplay, and controls ahead of time. Inventory can be changed from "Tab" to the "G" button. The Look button can be changed from the "Left Alt." If you keep the space bar as "weapon up," you may find yourself in a boxing stance or treading water and have a skip step when walking and running. Simply, toggle the space bar again to resume normal movement. Reduce the head bob effect. When you configure the appearance of your character click the "Set Default" button, otherwise you will get a different character consistently. For the server browser, go to the top left and click "Internet" to have the server choices populate.

Set your expectations low as this is really in Alpha status. The developers are still refining the basics.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 5:17

Re: Standalone: Observations and Impressions
Quite a regular.
Quite a regular.

See User information

Iwazzio said he found a tent the other night, and had some loot stashed in it for later.  He also said that to return from unconsciousness one needs to be given a saline treatment (using a saline bag and an IV (intravenous) start kit).

What items are needed to rip up a shirt?  Iwazzio also said he hadn't figured this out yet.

The fireman's axe kills zombies in one hit, and once you get the timing down you can easily kill them before they can even take a swipe at you.

Plastic water bottles and canteens can be found (I have found a total of 5 (3 bottles, two canteens) in my "short" travel time from Elektra to Vybor) and both can be refilled at water pumps located in many town areas.  Iwazzio said he was able to fill them in ponds as well, but I have not found the 'sweet spot' to be able to do so.  TO FILL WATER: place the empty water bottle in your hands, get OUT of the inventory screen and scroll-wheel to 'Fill Water' when looking at the aforementioned water pump (or the 'sweet spot' in a pond).  Water purification tablets can also be found, but using them does not change the name of the water bottle in any way (so you don't know whether or not it has worked).

First aid kits can be found; they are a bag within themselves.  They can be opened either on the ground (left side of the inventory screen) or when placed in your character's hands.  If you place it on the ground DO NOT FORGET to put it back in your inventory!!  They take up 4 slots (in a square).

Loot can spawn in some of the wrecked cars scattered around cities and towns -- make sure you check inside and try to open the doors/trunk to search for the loot.  On two occasions a firearm was found in one of the aforementioned lootable cars (both times it was a Mosin rifle -- looks a bit like a Lee Enfield, fires 7.62 ammo).  Certain scopes can easily be attached to certain weapons.  If you drag an item over another item and the thumbnail turns yellow, it means those two items can interact somehow with each other.

Hope this information helps!!!

Posted on: 2013/12/19 14:14
Click to see original Image in a new window

Quite a regular.
Quite a regular.

See User information

Sorry for the double post, but this information warranted its own post.

I logged in today, say my character all geared out with my wepon on the main menu.  I went to switch server (to check and make sure I was on the server we've been playing on -- US 1-12), and joined the game.  Suddenly I was no longer near Vybor, I was on the huge dock in Cherno.... with NOTHING.  Brand new character.  I was mad, but I figured the update had reset things and said 'fuck it, might as well play.'  I ran around looking for loot, eventually got hit by a zombie and started bleeding.  I was running around looking for the hospital when my game crashed.  When I loaded it back up, the main menu still showed my character from before.  SO WHERE DID HE GO?  How do I get him back??  I logged back in to US 1-12, and I was placed NO WHERE NEAR where my game had crashed.

Not sure what's going on here, but there are definitely NEW issues now after the update.  I'm pissed at the moment, but I'm just going to keep playing with a new character and see what happens.

:::::::::Edit::::::::::

Scriv's most recent post in the Standalone Tips thread explains the above issue.  I feel much better now.  It does not explain the issue with not being in the same location as I was when my game crashed (which has happened twice now since the update), however I have not yet tested this after logging out normally.  I will edit this post again once I have logged back in (later tonight).

Posted on: 2013/12/19 18:22

Not too shy to talk.
Not too shy to talk.

See User information

So what's the verdict on the standalone guys ?

Are you all playing it exclusively now or going back to the mods ?

i see its available on Steam for a reasonable £19.99

Posted on: 2014/1/17 13:07

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

I much more prefer the stand alone. It reminds of the origional mod before so many people got hold of it and ruined the gameplay by overpowering the zombies. The gear system is easier to use and keep organized. The ability to customize weapons and clothing is a big plus as well. Sure, the mods let you build things, drive around in vehicles, have more loot to grab up and have ways for you to keep extra gear stashed away for a rainey day. We have to remember this is still an alpha and by playing have a roll in the development and can make things happen with the game before it is released. In my opinion, I believe the gameplay and interface trump all of that. I do still like some of the mods and will play them, but, will be yearning for the standalone while playing.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 17:47
Click to see original Image in a new windowThe magic googlebox knows all!

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Spawned in and was fighting three zombies in quick order. Went from Axe to AK and back to Axe. Then the AK was gone. Soon after, I used the FX 45 cal pistol and transitioned to the Axe to discover the pistol was gone.

It seems damn hard to kill zombies with a fire axe now.

Got hit multiple times by zombies which damaged all nine (4 rags, a 75% medical bandage and a 50% medical bandage) of my bandages resulting in death.

Damn upsetting...

Posted on: 2014/8/22 0:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.