Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Battlefront
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Understanding the video graphics are fabulous, there are Michael Bay Explosions (MBEs), and incredible audio effects. Once you get past all of that, how is the gameplay?

What did EA/DICE get right?

What are the many features that are completely lacking?

Try to discount the hollow promises flowing from EA/DICE of what is to come and don't get overtaken by the fiction that this is just the Beta version.

Discuss the current state of the product.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 11:10

Re: Battlefront
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
Markov
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"This so is nothing like Battlefront 2, same as Battlefield 3/4 is nothing like Battlefield 2. As I saw comment above, if it had not Battlefront title, then I would accept it as game.
It felt like simple, generic arcade shooter. Not having old features like classes, instead they have these "cards" which you have to buy with in-game credits.

Game itself runs fine, but already had some frustrating experience that reminds me Battlefield.
- I join match. Surprised, that I had no any problems in matchmaker.
- Round starts, spawn on partner. Suddenly got killed by bunch of rebel scum.
- Respawn by myself, go to objective, got killed by grenade.
- Respawn at partner again, suddenly got killed by grenade again.
- Respawn. Go to objective again... few kills then and there and then suddenly hear grenade, run away, still running, thinking that I ran far enough, nope, got killed by grenade.
- Respawn, going with partner to objective, 5 rebels camping on cliff killing everyone, "dynamic verticality"
Other than few other things, game seems nothing special at all, but still, doesn't feel like I am playing Battlefront 2.

Also, what's up with HUD and theme with it? It is not like it is much different from simple BF2 style, but something doesn't feel right."

McReally
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"I've been playing the beta, and just as I expected, it feels like an even more casual version of modern day Battlefield. If you thought it couldn't get any more dumbed down, then you're in for a treat, because DICE has managed this impressive feat."

James060394
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"Yeah, Walker Assault is unbalanced as fuck.

Somewhat enjoyed the basic capture the escape pod thing.

Like that the game runs very well on Ultra, 1920x1080. Get a good 80fps average.

That's it so far.

Followed by:
So here's my first impressions after playing on all 3 platforms so far:

Graphics:
PC - Maxed out on PC @1080p, game looks pretty good but nothing amazing at all. Runs smooth as butter.
PS4 - Pretty good, 900p. Runs smooth and responsive.
Xbox One - Looks ok, 720p. Runs smooth and responsive.

Walker Assault:
- I've yet to win a game as the Rebels. I sometimes think the Imperial side has overwhelming firepower. I get that keeps the feel of the game but it is very difficult. Nearly won a match on the PC version but till had a quarter of the ATAT's health left.

Drop Zone:
- Basic, quick action. Can be somewhat fun but got old very quick.

Gameplay:
- Feels good and responsive due to framerate and what not. I like the time to kill is good for the initial weapons. People who have been playing longer seem to have weapons that can kill faster which can be frustrating at times.
- I cannot for the life of me get the stupid TIE Fighters to turn at a reasonable pace. It will hardly move (PC/PS4). Am I doing something wrong because I see other people flying around no problem?
- Heroes are fun. It's nice to wreck people with them however, movement is a bit clunky (Xbox One).

Sound:
- Very, very good as always. I've noticed the sound cuts out for split seconds at a time on the PS4/Xbox One versions but not on PC. Probably a bug.

Network:
- Seems fine on consoles, but around half the matches i've played on PC have had severe lag. Quitting the game and hoping to get matchmade into a different one can resolve this.

So far, not bad but not astounding either. Just...around average."

BlindChance
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"With all this nerdrage I have been reading I have installed the game against my best judgement. I want my rant too.

From what I have gathered so far:

- while Rebels are at disadvantage they get fucked mainly because people don't understand the Walker Assault (other game modes don't interest me at all).
- spawns suck A LOT. Prepare for the predictable spawn abuse.
- some skill combinations are clearly much better. Jetpack, shield and grenade.
- I bet all more money that the game doesn't take any advantage of netcode improvements done to BF4. Or any other improvements.

The Walker Assault map is shit. You are constantly overexposed and people are already abusing the higher ground with jet packs. Cover is limited and huge parts of the map are empty killing grounds for those who know the map and hunt those who try to reach the objectives. You won't get to the objectives without risking a sprint across empty space.

The mechanic which shows you on the mini-map when you sprint is just another level of DICE retardation for sake of making the game more "accessible".

Cheaters are already at it.

The gunplay is uninspiring.

The game isn't god awful, but is extremely simplistic. This isn't a £50 title.

Firstly I still believe games shouldn't cost more than £30-35, secondly this isn't a proper Battlefront game. It's like BF:Hardline, a quick spin off to cash in on the franchise, SW brand the the new engine. No, thanks DICE. Not for that price. I'm get it from G2A or similar when the price is going reflect more what this game has on offer, which is basically one game one with few games and few game mechanics too keep you occupied. "

tigerchips
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"This is a rough first impression of the game... I've had about 7-8 games, probably not enough to judge.

For me, the game is one frustrating mess at the moment as i try to get to grips with it. Time to kill seems really low. Matches are really unbalanced as nobody has missiles to fire at vehicles. I've had to change DPI settings on my mouse as the turrets and vehicles have the same sensitivity, making for some frustrating aiming. The lack of a jetpack severely ups the frustation on Hoth. While flying, I think i died once mid air for no particular reason, could have been lag as i was close to the ground.

Getting in the stationary turrets and being blasted by ATATs is particuraly unforgiving, one shot kill it seems. I never seem to see what hits me either, leaving me confused. I presume the turrets aren't mean't for hitting vehicles as they are rubbish at it, doing practically no damage. I learned the last thing you want to be doing with them is hitting vehicles, it's pretty much an instant death if you do.

I think the kicking out of the ATAT needs to be a little more forgiving, unless it's time base?

The turrets on vehicles don't seem to shoot straight. On most occasions i saw the lasers fall short of the target, and i think perhaps the blast radius on ATSTs is a bit high. So basically the guns need more accuracy and less blast radius. Or there could be an issue with the crosshair alignment.

On several occasion i was getting stuck (as infantry) on terrain on hoth, more work needs to be done to improve that.

The grenades are perhaps a little OP, i don't know if he was cheating but, i saw this guy chuck a grenade half way across the map and land directly at my feet while i had my shield up. I don't think it should work against shields to be honest, considering you can't shoot out of shields while your in one. I'm not sure what the point was of allowing certian weapon fire through the shield, that puts the shield owner at a considerable disadvantage since he can't shoot back properly.

I had considerable lag on low settings with my Phenom II x4 955, i know it's old but it's still 4 cores. I have a feeling it'll be the single core speed that's to blame. The low framerate was most notable at the start of the round.

I had major stuttering on the stat screen at the end where it counts up you points. I presume this is where it starts loading the next match.

End of round chat would be nice, don't know how many times i've requested this option in games only to be ignored by developers. There's nothing worse typing in chat only for the round to end and it vanishes into thin air.

The keyboard layout options were confusing, like for instance, i couldn't find the button to swap to third person, it might be missing, it's somewhere around the 'Z' 'X' 'C' keys, but when i tried those keys nothing happened, so maybe a bug or it's not one of those keys, but one nearby. It wasn't obvious what button i had to press to get into vehicles, i didn't see the number 4 as it's so small until several pick up attemps. So the hint could be better, like 'press 4'. Maybe i was just having an off day, i was kind of distracted by people in my house asking me questions while i was playing. I think it would have been better to Press 'E' to pick it up and press 'E' again to enter vehicle.

Need a skip option for screen counter at end of match, the counter animation is too long and becomes annoying. What happened to the good old scoreboard seen in most games?

I'm not sure i like the Avatar thing at the end, kind of looks cringe worthy seeing other peoples crappy avatar pictures, perhaps make them smaller, less noticable.

I thought the Walker Assault mode was a bit short, maybe i just prefer Conquest style maps, i don't know. I think it would have been better to see some kind of block function for the Walkers, so like blowing up a ship would cause it to crash in-front of it and it would have to stop, then change course to get around it. Or it could just stop and would need to destroy the debris before moving on. But i think it's too late for such a feature obviously.

I haven't notice any netcode issues yet, which is good. Graphics and sound are quite good.

Mostly, i need to play it a bit more to decide if i want this game.

edit: I forgot to add i haven't played the original games that much, i am a Battlefied veteran. So the frustation would be higher since i'm not used to playing Battefront. "

Utek
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"casual, scripted, boring, and on rails..."

Drungly
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"Got a couple of friends who tried to convince me to play the beta.. they are Battlefront veterans. I didn't give into it and told them to stay away from it because it will be shit. After they played the beta for a few hours they concluded it is a big steaming pile of shit and that it doesn't deserve to carry the name Battlefront.

The more I read the critics the more I see a big parallel with BF3. With BF3 DICE shat on Battlefield vets and now DICE is shitting all over Battlefront vets. I'm wondering what franchise is next. Come to think of it, this is just the standard EA practice. How to ruin a franchise in the least amount of time. How come they keep getting away with it for so long? I just don't understand why people continue to take shit from EA."

Tito1BW
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"ok guys im play 10 min and unistall dont like this game for mee its crap my recommendation its dont buy this game game its rushed, again DONT PREORDER , bf4 its goin to right direction and its better game dont waste mooney on this shit game people buy the game cause its new"

Posted on: 2015/10/9 11:21
Click to see original Image in a new window

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
woes
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"well played a little bit yesterday and i'm actually positive about the game.... ttk feels ok to me... the run spotting mechanic isnt that bad, because you still have to look for the enemy... but i don't really know how the game will be after you unlock everything... it's dice we are talking about here so there should still be a retarded mechanic in the later unlocks i'm 100% sure

and yeah bad spawns points and bouth modes feel like deathmatch...

and i'm surprised that there is no mechanic which fucks with my aim like suppression in bf4/3"

Pine Cone
Critical Edge
9 OCT 2015

"Some initial thoughts. Keep in mind I'm not a Battlefront veteran, or even a Star Wars fan. I'm judging this game based on its own merits.

• TIE Fighters sound like a hairdryer on full blast. DICE's one-handed approach to piloting it with just the mouse feels loose and disconnected. It's also frustrating to fly due to how tiny the map is, constantly looping over and over for a strafe run.
• Everyone's jumping around the map like a frog on meth. Don't have a jet pack yet because of DICE's obligatory hamster wheels for equipment.
• Power-ups are lame, basically randomized CoD scorestreaks. Instead of victory hinging on the tools given to you, you're now at the mercy of the RNG. Rebels pretty much have to scramble to power-ups constantly until they get an orbital strike if they want to win on Walker Assault.
• Spawns are horrible. I counted three separate occasions where I spawned directly behind someone and beat 'em to death with melee. It's also extremely inconsistent and random; it's a complete crap shoot where you'll end up.
• There's no reason to use 1P cam, not even personal preference. The wider FOV in 3P will let you see the enemy around corners and over rocks before they see you, so you're always at a disadvantage when using 1P.
• Most blasters don't have a hipfire penalty. Seriously, why are you using 1P?
• Constant stuttering on the end-of-round screen. Joining Hoth is pretty much guaranteed to suffer a full minute of freezes until the game finally calms down.
• Honestly, I didn't notice the sprint spotting at all. Then again I tend to focus on what's on my screen and pay attention to audiovisual cues, instead of playing minimap simulator like everyone's used to these days.

Overall, the game is just BORING. In BF4 I can at least find a glimmer of joy under a mountain of rage. Here, I just feel nothing. Maybe Star Wars fans will get more mileage, but given how brainless the gameplay is, eventually that sugar high will wear off. Then skill-based matchmaking will kill off the remaining population as they get constantly put into Australian servers and the lag becomes unbearable."

cRoSsxFaDEs
Critical Edge
10 OCT 2015

"I played the beta for a couple hours. It's okay, but not worth a buy.

I'll stick to CSGO. Bye bye DICE!"

Posted on: 2015/10/9 23:47

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information

It seems to me as only the negative reviews have been posted so far, a little bias I think.

First of all let's stop comparing it to battlefield... it is not that game and was never meant to be. People's frustration over Battlefield 3 and 4 is making them jump to conclusions about other DICE/ EA games.

Yes it's hard not to be drawn into the beauty of the game! It looks and sounds fantastic and any star wars fan would be impressed. In terms of game play there are a few weapon/team balancing tweaks needed, but on the whole I found it enjoyable.

If I want a highly tactical game I would play ArmA or even CS: GO competitive. But if I want some faster paced fun where no one cares if they win or lose and it's more about having a laugh with friends, then this is the sort of game I'd play.

Remember this BETA is limited to 2 maps and 2 modes (1 map per a mode), the AT-AT map is a decent size and is more tactical and the Drop Pod mode is more like a COD run and gun game. There are many more modes in the full release and more maps to explore.

Now the big question: WOULD I BUY IT? Yes I would as the game is good fun, however there would be a few conditions:

• I'd have to watch some game play of the other game modes.
  • I would have to be confident friend would get is as well.
  • the teams would have to be balanced.  

Posted on: 2015/10/10 14:51

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Hear is myself and Frasberry playing the co-op beta, so I could learn the game controls

Posted on: 2015/10/10 16:21

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Posted on: 2015/10/11 4:00

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
TheRA1DER
Critical Edge
11 OCT 2015

"just tried couple of rounds.

No one will remember this game 2 months after it get released. Its just like playing yet another casual shooter. This game got my attention just as much as cod:aw did.

Mindless grinding 24/7.

Dont think i'll play much more."

hopethisisfree
Critical Edge
11 OCT 2015

"I cant think of many modern EA games that you do still remember after 2 or 3 month, well not for the right reasons anyway . I think they are designed that way. Helps the production chain keep on moving.

Knocking out the same game every 6 month just with a different background theme, if people are still enjoying the last one it could mean less are that bothered about the next skin update.

Its possibly why they are so lacking too. and buggy, the next off the line is met more like an update than a new game.

If I want depth and longevity and valuefor money, and something that isnt just 100% mindless I certainly wouldnt be looking through the EA back catalogue, not since 2010 at least."

Sebastos
Critical Edge
11 OCT 2015

"I know my brother will buy it, he's big Star Wars fan, has to work a lot and has only about 30 min a day to play videogames. He acknowledges it's super dumbed down and he won't need to invest any time into it like you do with skill based shooters. That's why it's a good game for him, and I fully agree and understand his purchase. Me, I'd never get any satisfaction out of this game."

SG-17
Critical Edge
11 OCT 2015

"1: Not 64 players. PS2 and Xbox were limited to 24/32 players and most maps did not work at with 64

2: AT-AT on rails. We only know its on-rails in one gamemode and in the original games it was basically on rails anyway. All it did was walk forward and kill the shield generator.

3: No Clone Wars. Disney wants nothing to do with the prequels and at least on the PS2 version everyone online hated Clone Wars, though this is probably the most legitimate complaint of them all.

4: No Galactic Conquest. SWBF1 and 2 were made in a time when playing online was a novelty for consoles so they had to find ways to pad out the singleplayer. Outside of the bonuses the gameplay was exactly the same as Instant Action or multiplayer.

5: No traditional campaign. The original games didn't have one either. They had exactly what the new game will have, a "string of missions tied together against AI bots."

6: No dedicated Space mode. SWBF1 didn't have space either and when SWBF2 launched people were pissed that there weren't air vehicles on ground maps and most considered space a half-finished worthless mess. Did you all conveniently forget that?"

...Battlefield 3 and 4 launched with 9/10 maps respectively. They each got 4 maps in each of the 5 DLC packs (along with new weapons and assignments) totaling 29/30 maps. Much more than what either older game had in total."

HeroOfCanton
Critical Edge
11 OCT 2015

"After playing the beta for a few days I am a "Not buying" person.

Game play is to simplistic when compared to games of this style over the last 8 years. If it weren't for a large selection of games coming SOON I might have considered SW:BF just for a distraction. Something to kill time.

I think I will go my $70.00 on some ammo."

GrafOerlikon
Critical Edge
11 OCT 2015
"I've had actually quite a bit of fun with this game. But frustration too which seems to be always there when DICE designs a game. There are some things that absolutely have to change so that I'd consider buying it.

1. Spawn system is horrible. Too short, too random, prone to spawn rape. Let me choose where to spawn. Don't let the other team sneak by, jump into a turret and rape spawn from there. Sometimes I have the feeling Hoth would be easier for the rebels were there no turrets...

2. Air game sums up to 'rich getting richer'. If there's already 4 TIEs in the air you're dead before you get control over your aircraft. They'll pick you one by one.

3. balance changes. I don't like the fact that power ups can decide the fate of the whole battle. I'm fine with them deciding small skirmishes but for everything else they're just too random. Losing just because some idiot didn't use his orbital strike on the AT-AT is beyond retarded. They shouldn't have that much power to begin with.

If those points are solved and the rest of the content is nice then I'm really considering buying this thing. Not before reading various reviews and waiting for the first few patches of course."

Posted on: 2015/10/12 13:56

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
VG24/7
12 OCT 2015
by Sherif Saed

The Ultimate Edition has been revealed and comes with the base game, a season pass, and Deluxe Edition content for only $120 on all platforms.

The season pass, if purchased separately for $50, grants the purchaser access to four DLC packs and two weeks early access to each DLC release.

Star Wars: Battlefront is scheduled for release on November 17th for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One platforms.

Posted on: 2015/10/12 22:12

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Posted on: 2015/10/12 23:05

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
MrBull3tproof
Critical Edge
14 OCT 2015
Quote:
About VoIP - people demanded it for bf4 ...Randoms don't use VoIP ...

xnorb
Critical Edge
14 OCT 2015
Quote:
VoIP is of no use if the game doesn't enforce teamwork.
..., so absolutely no need for VoIP

DICE died in 2006 and the EA/DICE casual console developer body snatched the respected name.

The games developed by EA/DICE are for Call of Duty fans.
- Smaller narrow maps
- Closer control points
- Spawn on any squad member
- Super lone wolf infantry with no dependence on other players
- Across kit unlocks
- In-game character randomly yelling
- Broken commo rose, order system, and large interactive map
- Target Audience (TA) overcrowding of the community

Unfortunately, the TEAMPLAY loved by Battlefield Veterans has been murdered by EA/DICE. VoIP has little use in today's EA/DICE mini-featurettes .

Watch as the cutting of features will continue over time.
- Kits will be removed
- Leader positions will be removed
- Orders will be removed
- Squads will be removed
- Vehicles will be removed

They just need time and no one will protest. The telemetry will REQUIRE change.

Be sure to preorder PREMIUM and embrace the new casual creation.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 20:09

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.