Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Re: Assetto Corsa
Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

Yes, I had some time last night and couldn't resist. Although my time is high I have no driver assists on accept for the Racing line as I still don't know the tracks very well. Give it a shot Wobbly and lets see what you get. I don't see Al's times yet because we were somehow not friends in Steam yet. I remedied that with a request.

As for your controller problem, I can see where that would be a real pain. The game is set up so that it is easy to use a mouse for steering. I have talked to many people who use it and they like it and are the ones with the best lap times. Give that a shot too and tell me what you think.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 3:19
Click to see original Image in a new windowThe magic googlebox knows all!

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
More good news folks on freeway! Spa Francorchamps is in the making.

I can post a picture later, but I don't have any assists on, I'm using a manual gearbox with clutch and I'm driving from the cockpit view. I'll test around with various levels of traction control and ABS to see if that's what makes the difference.

...Am I the only one driving with a steering wheel?

Posted on: 2014/3/19 15:52

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information
I played Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit last night.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:16
Click to see original Image in a new window

Site Admin
Site Admin

See User information

I have the G25 also so, no Al, you aren't the only one.

Ahh, NFS Hot Pursuit. Played the origional and it was pretty good. Never got hold of the new one because I was pretty sure EA ruined it just like every thing else the have shoehorned in to their studio lately.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 0:26
Click to see original Image in a new windowThe magic googlebox knows all!

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
Ok, for some reason I thought you were playing with the mouse or with a gamepad.

I played the original Need for Speed games when I was a kid. I don't think I ever won a single race, but it was fun. NFS: Most Wanted from 2005 was fun with the police chases (I think I should try it with a steering wheel, even though I can't use an H-shifter nor a clutch in it). NFS: Shift is a fun semi-realistic racing game, but you have to use the Gran Turismo mod with it, otherwise you won't have almost any grip at all. But pretty much all the latest NFS games have been really bad, at least according to the reviews I've read and watched. They also have an annoying tendency to give a new the exact same name as a previous title. And the latest one doesn't even support a steering wheel!

So that's the kind of people are keeping the Porsche license to themselves...

Posted on: 2014/3/20 17:16

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
I finally managed to tame the Pagani Zonda R. Give it just a little too much throttle, and the rear gets out of control. Luckily, unlike the Ferrari F40, it doesn't have a turbo, so I just applied a very small amount of force on the throttle, and then gradually gave the beast more and more power. I probably could take off several seconds off the lap time, but I still managed to beat the Ferrari 458 S3 time by two seconds.

Speaking of the 458... The last time I played I was so tired that I couldn't keep it on the track (surprisingly I could do it with the Zonda). Maybe some day I'll get closer to Wobbly's inhuman lap times.

I think I did get a few seconds off the "old Lotus F1 car on Monza 1966" challenge. That's an interesting car and a good track. And oh, by the way, they released version 0.8 of AC. It came with the Ferrari Niki Lauda drove, as well as some Lotus sports car. 1.0 is looming in the horizon. I wonder when will multiplayer be ready?

Posted on: 2014/3/29 7:55

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information

Assetto Corsa 0.8.5 was released. It adds race weekends against the AI. You've got training and hotlaps before the actual race. They also added a couple more Lotus sports cars, as if we didn't have enough of those. I'll have to try them, but the ones I have tried didn't feel like much fun to me.

On the other news, I watched a video comparing a real car going aroung the 'Ring GP track to a car going around it in AC. From it I learned some racing lines. With that information I managed to shave off almost one second of the Ferrari 458 S3 on Nurburgring GP time. So now my record is 2:08.

But that's not all! I challenged myself with the Ferrari F40 once again. This time I was even more careful than ever before. To those that don't know: the F40 is a car with no ABS, no traction control, no electrical driving assists. It has a twin-turbo engine behind the driver's seat producing about 500 bhp. You can get to 97 km/h on the first gear. It's a beast. And I'm starting to get the hang of it. I got record times on some circuits, including the 'Ring GP. For a while I've thought that you don't get a good sense of speed in Assetto Corsa, but then I drove around Imola in an F40. After getting to know how to drive around it with that car I blasted through the first straight with the pedal to the metal. I was going over 200 km/h and on either the fourth or the fifth gear. One mistake and I'd spin out of the track. But I didn't. I braked hard into the first corner, but didn't lock the tires and stayed on the track. I'm starting to like it.

I can't get embedding images to work, unfortunately. Anyway, here's my F40 screenshots:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/4 ... 99749F67BCBF9F1870CF83C0/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/4 ... 133E509FF3D79D93FBD74A0E/

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/4 ... 52A7E48F66542C6A7575909F/

Posted on: 2014/4/12 18:58

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
I'm a bit pissed off we have more Lotus cars and no RUF's and Spa track
The race weekend is a step in the right direction though. It is getting closer to a game!
Nice F40 shots Al. You are a brave man. I can't control it with all the assists on!

Posted on: 2014/4/12 22:18

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
I don't know about brave... Driving fast with the F40 is terrifying!

I have actually finally beaten Wobbly's time... with the Lotus Evora CX (or something like that). I briefly tested all the Lotus Evora models, and they were actually pretty fun to drive. The Lotus Evora S doesn't have much grip, so it was easy to go a bit sideways in the corners. That was fun when I was driving on my own, but when I raced against the AI, I spun out of a corner when I lost grip completely.

I played through a race weekend in a BMW M3 E30. The AI opponents had cars of the same class. First there was practice, after that qualifying laps and finally the race. You can adjust the time for the practice and qualifying sessions, as well as the amount of laps for the race. With the opponent difficulty at 90% I was last of the nine racers. On the very first lap on the training session a driver just crashed into me, causing me to spin out. Otherwise it was good, and the AI knew how to overtake, and so did I. In the race I immediately got from last place to the seventh, and after that it was pretty much just a race of getting into the sixth place. The first five were so far away there was no way I could catch them on five laps, and they were going much faster than me. After three laps I finally overtook the BMW Z4, but I lost the position after a while. I wasn't giving up yet, so I was going on full throttle though the curves, less than a car's lenght away from the opponent. Then I hit him in the rear, spun out, and lost the race. I'll have to try again on a lower difficulty.

A small improvement came with the latest patch: there's a fuel consumption estimate in the pit menu if you've driven at least one lap. This way you can optimize the amount of fuel you have in the car. This was done automatically in the race weekend.

My realism settings:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/4 ... DC57434C4D44B06394EE1142/
I always drive from cockpit view.

Another F40 picture
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/4 ... 5C3C96D5F0723AE8934AD776/

...One more thing: Wobbly, you are missing a huge part of the game by playing with a controller. You can really feel the road surface on the wheel, which adds a lot. Also, since a steering wheel and pedals are made for driving and for nothing else, you could start turning off those assists...and see how well you'll perform with the Ferrari after that! Seriously, the experience only gets better and more fun. Just don't get a cheap and bad wheel. I can recommend the G27, but the price may put you off...

Posted on: 2014/4/15 17:06

Just can't stay away.
Just can't stay away.

See User information
The Assetto Corsa developers have released a new update once in two weeks. However, 25th of April is a national holiday in Italy. It marks the end of fascist regime in Italy in WWII. So this Friday's update will be pushed to 2nd of May...and it contains the long-awaited multiplayer!

Posted on: 2014/4/24 13:06

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.